Thursday, December 2, 2010

Definitely Homemade!

If you are anything like me, you have tons and tons of ideas, but only some of them turn out cute.  This project was one of them...  But I'm ok with that.  It was intended to be just a quick project, kind of a treat for my son that I didn't have to spend my whole life making.  You see, we put up our Christmas tree this past weekend and I spent a whole afternoon feeling glum at how not cute our tree was without the breakable ornaments on it. I tried all sorts of fixes but none of them pleased me.  So we scrapped that idea and just made a blockade.


Then we put up a little tree and filled it with non-breakable ornaments we don't particularly like, as well as ornaments from our childhood.


Two of the ornaments really stood out to him; Bert & Ernie.  My grandma picked them up at a garage sale a long long time ago and they were some of my favorite ornaments as a child.  He loves Sesame Street characters, his Nana and PopPop have given him tons of Sesame Street books to read.  So I decided to make Owen some other Sesame Street ornaments.  While I was at it, I threw in Dora and Diego as well ;)

The inspiration:

Now, like I said, I wanted to do this quick and dirty--just get it done.  So there would be no sewing, no patterns, just me, some felt, and the glue gun.  I googled some pics of the characters and cut out basic shapes. And, if I must say, I am terrible with a glue gun.  I lack any finesse at all.  So this is how they turned out:


I wasn't even sure if I should give them to him because they were definitely homemade but he loves them, and knew who they all were right away.  Even big bird, who, in a stroke of luck, is lost, probably because Owen threw him away due to his supreme ugliness...  But really, for a child, I think it is the thought that counts.  He has been playing with them non-stop--I'm sure we will keep them out after the Christmas season. So I just set these on the tree, instead of hanging them, inviting him to touch and play with them, which I know he will want to do anyway.  Its a great way to get him involved in Christmas and loving the tree without ruining all my precious ornaments.

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the  weekend      wrap    up           party!No Time For Flash Cards

3 comments:

  1. I love felt! It's the nonsewer's fabric of choice. These turned out really cute! Great idea to get your little guy involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are so cute! Love them! And I bet your kids will too!


    Would love for you to link up at Kids Get Crafty? It's every Wednesday over at Red Ted Art, current linky: http://www.redtedart.com/2010/12/01/kids-get-crafty-robots/

    Hope to see you there!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out very cute! It's so nice that your little one has ornaments that he can play with and recognize on the tree.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...