Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Playing with Trash

What could be better than a swimming pool full of newspaper and colorful baggies?  Well a lot of things, my son thinks ;)
It took a while for him to really get into this... I had thought he would love it because of how much he liked to throw fall leaves but I was mistaken.  Still, we had our good moments, like when he realized that he could see through the bags and wanted to sing the peekaboo song.



I found the idea for this activity here.  Oh, and also only use the plastic bags if you are going to be supervising your child!  I just added them in because we don't get the paper so we had very little of it in the garage, but had tons of plastic bags that my inlaws always seem to give us.

I also made up a sensory box (in this case, I almost think its just another term for "junk...") I tossed tons of stuff in there, mostly game pieces--from Rummikub, Dominoes, Sequence, Mancala, Scrabble, plus shape beads, cotton and pompoms, clothesmpins and a couple shiny plastic ornaments for good measure.
I set it out with tons of containers, spoons, cups, etc. and let my son get to work.  He did a lot of stirring and scooping and in general, had a great time!  I am sure we will get it out again tomorrow.

He is currently into stars since we put up the tree, so we set about to do a star collage.  He has helped make these in the past but this time his helping equated to him continuously getting his hand stuck on the paper.
So I pretty much made the whole thing, but it was worth it later because he keeps picking it up and starting to dance, his signal that he wants me to sing twinkle twinkle little star.  so cute!

One final thing I did, in a fit of randomness, I decided to cut stars out of scrap paper and I taped them up all over the living room.  It took a while, but he eventually noticed them and has been having fun taking them down, looking at them, and then "pat, pat, pats" them back onto the wall (which is what we say when we make the collages).

We Play
play academy

5 comments:

  1. Looks like your son had fun. What age did you start to do the sensory kits with your son? Mine (14mths) is still at the stage where he puts everything into his mouth. Does yours ever do that?

    I think I may try taping some cut out shapes on a wall to see what he does. Plus maybe I'll give the sensory boxes a try. :)

    Kristen
    http://livingwiththemartins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the star!!!! Your sensory bin looks neat too :-)
    Michelle (Musings of Me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a pretty star!! And love the pool idea. What fun!!!


    I would LOVE for you to join us at Kids Get Crafty (every Wednesday on Red Ted Art) - current link up http://www.redtedart.com/2010/12/08/kids-get-crafty-nikolaus-sterne-or-santa-stars/

    Hope to see you there!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely, child focused activities. Thank you for linking to We Play this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the swimming pool idea! I think my boys would be thrilled by that one. Found you on the We Play link-up :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...