Friday, December 10, 2010

Felt Food Friday: No Frills Orange Slice Tutorial

Yay! Its Friday!  I'm so glad I committed to making more felt food, with the holidays coming up I have way too many projects going on and this one is kind of going to the wayside.  But I still figured out how to make an orange slice and I wanted to share it with you.  There are a few very lovely fancy orange slice tutorials out there (see here and here, but when I started this project I was still hand sewing (but my machine is back now!) and I couldn't get those slices to look cute, so I thought I would just do a plain old orange.
You can make this by hand or by machine.  In addition to the needle/thread you will need:
orange felt
paper and pen
pins
something to stuff the orange with

First create your pattern.  I traced around a soup can.  You will need one circle and one pointy oval that is a bit bigger than the can.  To give some perspective, my circle was about 3" across and the oval 4 1/4", however the oval was slightly too long, which I easily remedied by trimming the end during the pinning process.
Cut out your shapes.  Leave about a quarter inch for seam allowance.
Find the middle of each piece and pin them together.
Continue to pin around the orange and sew. I would show this completely pinned but apparently not being able to use your sewing machine for a year causes you to lose all your supplies... all I could find were four pins. I stopped sewing before I got to the 2nd pointy end so I could make sure my fabric was lined up right.
I began at the middle and ended about 1 1/2" from my starting point. 
Turn the slice right-side out and stuff.  I used the batting of an old couch pillow, you can use pretty much anything.  Close it off with a blind stitch.  I am not showing a picture of this because I am bad at it.
Optional:  I prefer a crisper look to my orange so I pinched the sides of the top together and stitched across it.
And you are done!
Also, when I handstitched my orange, I kept my stitches on the outside because I thought it helped make the orange more orange shaped:

If you have any felt food projects please share them with me!
A Little Knick KnackFriend Finding Fridays



monogram


1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I appreciate the tutorial SO MUCH! Play food are my kids favorite thing. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...