Monday, November 22, 2010

DIY Advent Calendar, Phase 1

I've been seeing lots of homemade advent calendars the past few days and I decided I wanted to have one too. I had a very hard time figuring out what I wanted to do.. I wanted it to be cute and colorful as well as meaningful.  Also, I didn't want to have to buy any supplies.  Well, I just so happen to have a ton of felt because I am working on this awesome car mat and I decided to do my own take on this advent calendar.  But... I didn't want to do any sewing of any kind and had a few other ideas in mind.  So I got out my glue gun and came up with this:


The pocket presents are velcroed onto the picture.  My plan is to make an ornament for each day that will replace the pocket so eventually the tree is made of ornaments instead of pocket presents.  When I was a kid, we had a wooden calendar with presents hanging from it. The presents were ornaments for the tree and corresponded with a Bible verse for each day.   I really like this idea and hope to do it as well...  I have a lot of online homework to do--I only remember one or two of the ones from when I was a kid.

I'm a bit of a non-perfectionist so I cut all the numbers and shapes and whatnots without tracing anything, so nothing is really even or uniform but I'm cool with it being that way.  Plus, I don't like my projects taking me too long since I have the baby running around. 


So I love it! 
If you have any suggestions on where to get ideas of what to put inside let me know!

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I wanted to make an advent calendar this year but was afraid I would run out of time. I bought the cardboard ones with the little chocolate candies for this year and will put making one high on my to do list for next year. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! I'm dreaming of making an advent calendar for my 3 year old son, but I'm also kind of overwhelmed by the project. Maybe if I start now I can get it done for next year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...